Saturday, August 9, 2008

Williamism or Just Besting Me in Debate

In William's world, they give trophies at the end of the season to everyone who participated on the baseball team. It's the "They're all winners" philosophy--not one I share.

This morning William and Wesley were watching a children's show in which just three contestants competed in a mock olympics. At the end they awarded gold, silver, and bronze medals, and the poor bronze winner had to stand there while they put the medal on him for losing.

I told William that I didn't think they should give a medal to the loser. He said that he thinks sometimes even the losers should get medals. I didn't really want to burst his bubble, but then I thought maybe it was a good teaching moment: "Medals are supposed to be for winning something." William: "Yeah, they won a medal!"

No comments: